45678,02,05/27/92,BILL MATTSON,BOB LUND R/6809/FLEX/FOR SALE, Hi, Bob. Re your 6809 machine...call me at 708-665-9525 in the evening about it and how much you might want for it. Thanks... 45679,03,05/27/92,ARCADY KHOTIN,WARD CHRISTENSEN R/HELLO FROM RUSSIA, Thanks, Ward , for quick return. It's a pity you are in no mood to write long messages... Thanks anyway, I understand. Best regards, Arcady 45778,16,10/06/92,ROY LIPSCOMB,CLIFF SHARP R/GOOF-PROOFING SYSTEMS, Cliff, my understanding is that DOS 5 does not require that IBM.SYS and IBM.BIO reside in the first data clusters on the disk, nor that their directory entries be the first on the disk. So what you thought was "skillful damage" may have not been so at all. The real test would be whether those two files were listed anywhere elsewhere in the directory. This is not to belittle the "hacker pandemic." A salesman at Elektek says that people try almost daily to crash the store's demo computers, or erase files from them. I'm not clear about the setup at the library you describe. Are you saying that the public computers are equiped with a hard disk, but that patrons are not supposed to have access to them? If so, I would consider a hardware solution: Disable the hard disk by means of a lock-switch. If you opt instead for a software solution, I would think the computers would be vulnerable to any patron who brought his own boot diskette. 45779,15,10/06/92,CLIFF SHARP,ROY LIPSCOMB R/GOOF-PROOFING SYSTEMS, Well, the IBMBIO.COM and IBMSYS.COM files (?) were definitely missing from the directory. I had had occasion to look at their directory previously with DEBUG and noted that they were, indeed, the first two entries in the directory, and occupied the first clusters on that drive. That's why I say that whoever did this deed did it very skillfully, since cluster 2 (which used to belong ot IBMBIO.SYS) now belonged to the DOS directory. Since the patrons are indeed allowed access to the hard drives, we can't just disable them. What I've settled on for the nonce is to remove ATTRIB.COM from the drives, and use my own program to make the necessary programs write-protected. But your ideas are VERY much appreciated, as are those of the other people I haven't yet responded to. I suppose the best idea is to get them a pair of 21 MB tape backups, by donation if possible, and enable them to restore the system to its pre-cracker condition... 45878,07,11/09/92,ROY LIPSCOMB,WARD & BILL & TONY COMMAND.COM, The variations of COMMAND.COM have forced me to give up on trying to find the errorlevel byte in each. What I've done instead is create a TSR that will intercept all program terminations, and save a copy of the result code. A non-TSR copy of the same utility can then retrieve the latest result code on demand and then display it. (Useful for debugging and development of both programs and *.BAT files.) Thanks for all your responses. 45879,15,11/09/92,ROY LIPSCOMB,WARD & ALL WIERD PROBLEM SOLVED., I recently installed DOS 5.0 on my original IBM AT (1984 BIOS). It worked fine except for one peculiar problem: It wouldn't boot from a 3.5" drive, even though I transferred the system to the diskette as specified in the DOS manual. "Big deal," you say; "the BIOS is too old." That's what a techie at the store where I bought DOS 5.0 said. The only thing is, DOS 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 would all boot from a 3.5" diskette under the same hardware configuration! Even tech support at Microsoft was baffled. Turns out the problem was the boot sector on the diskette. For some reason, the disk parameter block (which describes the diskette format to the ROM-BIOS during a boot and also at other times) had one bad parameter: The hidden sectors value. Instead of the 0000 which is normal for diskettes, it had a value of 8000! Don't know how that value got there; but changing it solved the boot problem-- and hasn't caused any other problems yet (knock wood). 45978,05,12/29/92,ALEX ZELL,STEVE MOYZIS HELP,NONO There is no one here who answers to the label "sysop." Ward Christensen runs this BBS. You are welcome to address him as "Ward." Did you read the Welcome message when you logged on? Did you try typing "h" or "help" or "help keywords" at the prompt. Capture the welcome message ("W" at the prompt) and read it carefully. 45979,04,12/30/92,WARD CHRISTENSEN,ANDY SHAPIRO R/DISK CLEANUP TIP, Ah, I see. But I'm moving only ONE directory to that directory's \unused directory. Thus no naming convention dup problems can occur. Thanks for the explanation. I use aliases a lot, too! yte in each. What I've done instead is create