45710,05,09/12/92,NORB DEMBINSKI,ALL HP PAINTJET XL300 PS,FROG Anyone have any comments as to how the HP PaintJet XL300 with Postscript performs, on reliability, and $$ value is. The images that are printed are they better than the PCL5C mode? Norb Dembinski 45711,08,09/12/92,NORB DEMBINSKI,ALL MUSTANG II PS BOARD,FROG Anyone used the Mustang II postscript board for the HP LJ III printer? The board has 4Meg of memory and allows postscript file output to be printed by the HP LJ III. The board also allows another PC to be connected to the printer using the existing parallel port. The board is able to switch from PCL5C and postscript automatically. Any and all comments are welcome. Norb Dembinski 45810,01,10/18/92,ERIC BOHLMAN,WARD SPEED, 9600 is working fine for me here. 45811,10,10/18/92,ERIC BOHLMAN,ANDY SHAPIRO PRINTER SHARING, How about an A/B switch box (manual) at the printer, and a cable booster on Mr. X's machine if it's more than 15 feet or so from the printer. Ideally, locate the switch box at the printer, not at Mr. X's desk. If you go to an auto-switching unit, you may have some hassles you haven't anticipated, like either having different people's outputs interleaved, or else long timeouts to prevent that. You don't want hassles like A downloading some soft fonts, printing a document, B then downloading his soft fonts and printing, then A coming back and printing on the assumption that his soft fonts are still there. 45910,18,11/29/92,ANDY SHAPIRO,WARD CHRISTENSEN R/REPLY RE: CBBS, Hmm, I guess I'm creating a chain here...Ward's right. It'll be a LONG time before most pople have terminals/computers/modems at home. Some of us (with income) are fortunate, but many people with access to computers (i.e., $) are still up a crick because they don't know what to do if it ain't on the menu. I was lucky. Back in '84 I got to be elected computer person at the American Bar Foundation because (1) I used to be a ham operator, and everyone though that==hacker in those days, and (2) I had bought a Kaypro 2 in hopes of gettig some writing done. I was lucky enough to be given a copy of MDM7xxx that had the CBBS number in the dialing directory, and I've been a faithful follower of CBBS for about 8 years now. BUT. Most people don't feel comfortable with mahines, BBSs, etc. It's funny -- everyone will tell you that driving a car is easy; everyone tells you the opposite about computers. Yet the latter are in many ways easier (and less risky to master). So -- even among the well-endowed, there's a long way to go. If you're on the street, or make less than $15,000 a year (like many people) you're probably out of it. Heck, a good number of the people I know here in upstate NY don't even have PHONES, let alone modems!! 45911,04,11/30/92,WARD CHRISTENSEN,ANDREI SCHEINKMAN SEE MSG 45910, I think that msg (45910) was intended for you. He replied to ME, but I was replying to YOUR note in the COMMENTS - users can't "reply to a comment" only to a msg.... 46010,17,01/06/93,DAVID GIBBS,ALL PROBLEMS WITH PKZIP 2.04C, The new PKzip/unzip is indeed real, but it has at least 3 identified problems: 1) QDPMI.SYS v1.00, the Quarterdeck DOS Protected Mode Interface, will not get along with either pkzip or pkunzip. This can be worked around with a SET PKUNZIP=-) and a statement in the file PKZIP.CFG that reads DPMI=disable. If you do NOT do this, both PKzip and PKunzip will reboot your system! 2) PKZip 2.04c will allocate a 16k UMB and will NOT give it back when it is done executing. This is especially troublesome for those who process outside DESQview and then start the bbs, or those who do not use DESQview. The UMB is allocated in the middle of the largest available continous block. 3) Related to 2), the statement XMS=disable or XMS=off is completely ignored, so that cannot be used to work around it, and can also cause other problems. The commandline switch -- does work, but not every program that calls PKzip can have the commandline configured. 46011,06,01/07/93,KEN STOX,WARD CHRISTENSEN MODEM, I just got this new modem, a PPI14400, and it does seem to have problems connecting to some modems. What type of modem is CBBS running on these days, a USR maybe ? That seems to be the most difficult for the PPI to connect to, but I really don't have enought data yet to come to any "real" conclusions. If I'm able to come to some answers that may be of use, I'll pass them on.