44442,04,01/27/91,FARRAD ALI,BILL MATSON COHERENT REPLY,BURR Greetings Bill, I sent Gary Clark a message (#44441). I placed some info for you in it also. (1-27-91) Let me know if you purchased it already, and how you like it. 44443,13,01/27/91,GERALD PINE,TONY ANTONUCCI POSSIBLE SWAP, Tony--I have an Apple II+ with two disk drives that I might be willing to consider swapping with you. I don't know a lot about the Amiga 1000, but here's what I have been looking for: My son would like a computer with some kind of simple CAD software for designing cars, motorcycles, etc. He doesn't use the Apple II+ much anymore. Do you know if there is any such software available reasonable cheap for the Amiga? Also, I presume that you are talking about an Amiga without a monitor. True? If so, what kind of color monitor would the Amiga require (or for that matter, monochrome)? I have monochrome monitors around here. I'm a bit reluctant to part with the Apple II+ for sentimental reasons. It was my first computer, but on the other hand, they're not too hard to find. Give me a call at (708) 352-7415 if you want to talk about it. 44542,03,02/20/91,JIM POLOUS,ALL UNIX QUESTION,@@@@ We have two UNIX hosts on the same network running TCP/IP. We want to be able to mount the file system of one to the other. Any ideas? Jim Polous 44543,12,02/20/91,KEN STOX,JIM POLOUS UNIX QUESTION, You would need to be more specific as to your hosts, but in general, you can use either RFS (Remote File System) or NFS (Network File System). Each has its advantages and disadvantages. NFS is typically easier to setup and run, however, it is not as safe as RFS. If you are looking to run a database which your business relies on use RFS, if you are looking to share some files informally, NFS would probably be best. What machines and applications you are running make a difference. For example, I don't think you can get RFS on a SUN, or the application you are running may take into account that it may be running on NFS and insure that data has successfully been written over the network. If you have further questions, you can drop me a note at stox@balr.com, or {uunet|att|attmail|chinet}!balr!stox 44642,10,03/22/91,WARD CHRISTENSEN,ALL CD ROM & BIG DB?, A customer is wanting to convert a mainframe application to PCs, and it requires a 300-400 meg database. They want to master their own CDs, and update them fairly often (say, every 2 months, just guessing). They'd probably stage the data to hard disk from CD-ROM for speed of access - the data could be "batched" so that maybe 3-5% of the database could be looked at one time. I think they sort of want to write their own access method - they don't want any "tie-ins" etc. Any thoughts on this? Thanks! 44643,07,03/23/91,ERIC BOHLMAN,WARD CHRISTENSEN R/CD ROM & BIG DB?, 1) If they're planning to master an new CD every two months, they must have money to burn. Also, I wonder what the lead time on CD-ROMS is. Are they going to be able to keep up? 2) Remember that although CD-ROM drives can transfer data very fast, they have miserable seek times (ca 500ms!). If they're going to do any kind of random access searches, they'd do better to copy the entire CD-ROM to a hard disk and do the searches there. 44742,12,05/08/91,BILL WOLFF,ALL FRAUDIGY PART 2, Although I have not tested this yet, but it is said that if you take a brand new Prodigy software package and install it on a brand new floppy even though you have a hard disk as drive C:. It will pull information off your hard disk and place it in the STAGE.DAT file even before you log on for the very first time. Someone who works on the inside of Prodigy as a columnist admitted that Prodigy does pull information from your system and does so legally because if you read your on-line agreement closely, it says that you sign all rights to your computer and its contents to Prodigy, IBM & Sears when you agree to the service. Well that is all very interesting... wouldn't you agree? 44842,14,06/07/91,ALEX ZELL,ERIC BOHLMAN RE/COPH-2 BBS NUMBER CHANGE,NONO It would be helpful if you were to indicate the location of the central office to which COPH BBS has moved. The phone book indicates that the 436 prefix is in the Prospect district which puts it into the "B" zone for callers from the North side Lakeview and Kildare exchanges, whereas it was in the "A" zone under the old phone number. The phone company operator and business office (a lady who identified herself as "Mrs. Bell") refused to tell the location as "company information only." (It happens to be on Chicago's South Side.) The information is important to callers who won't realize they have been calling a "B" "C" or "D" zone until they see a phone bill at month's end. Will people who call both Chinet on its guest line (312-283-0559) and COPH at its new location (312-436-0559) encounter a problem when trying to recall which is which? 44843,14,06/07/91,ALEX ZELL,ERIC BOHLMAN COPH-2 NUMBER CHANGE, It would be helpful if you were to indicate the location of the central office to which COPH BBS has moved. The phone book indicates that the 436 prefix is in the Prospect district which puts it into the "B" zone for callers from the North side Lakeview and Kildare exchanges, whereas it was in the "A" zone under the old phone number. The phone company operator and business office (a lady who identified herself as "Mrs. Bell") refused to tell the location as "company information only." (It is on Chicago's South Side.) The information is important to callers who won't realize they have been calling a "B" "C" or "D" zone until they see a phone bill at month's end. Will people who call both Chinet on its guest line (312-283-0559) and COPH at its new location (312-436-0559) encounter a problem when trying to recall which is which?